Repost! Tea Wallet Tutorial- 6 bags

by Zoe on November 9, 2011

**Update: I thought with the Holidays just around the corner that I’d repost my 6 bag. 5 sweetener/ creamer slot tea wallet! I have just added a downloadable pdf file of the webpage. **

Hey yall! This is my VERY first attempt at a sewing tutorial. I am very excited to share this with you all. My mom is a “serious” tea drinker, she came to me several weeks ago and asked me if I might be able to create a tea wallet that hold 6 tea bags. We have seen a few floating around but I wanted to put my own spin on it….. Here it is! Updated…. I have used a html to pdf converter to convert this web page to a .pdf file to enable downloads to your computer. I know that it’s a rather large file to print out….

Materials:
2 fat quarters (pre-washed and dried and pressed) (can be alike or contrasting; I used contrasting colors/patterns)
fusible interface (light to medium weight)
1 snap (and all of it’s parts) I used a kamsnap press.

I use a rotary cutter and a cutting mat, but it’s not necessary, regular scissors will work just fine. Cut your two pieces of fabric  9 1/2 ” (on the fold) by 7 1/4″ OR 19 inches by 7 1/4 laid flat. There seems to be A LOT of confusion about this.

Next you will want to cut two (if you are using the same fabric for the external and internal portions of the wallet) or one from each contrasting fabric 6′ x 3′. (from the left over fabric you have)

Plus two pieces of fusible interfacing 6″ x 3″.

Should look like the photo below

If you have not pressed your main pieces of fabric; do so now.

Match the 19″ and 7 1/4″ pieces right sides together. (these are the two 9 1/2 ” by 7 1/4″  pieces that you cut on the fold.

Fuse one piece of interfacing to each of the 6″ x 3″  pieces of fabric. (“bumpy” side of interface goes to the wrong side of the fabric… bumpy side = sticky once heated)

Pin Right sides together on 3 sides leaving one of the 3″ sides open. (Paying close attention to any words or prints that need to be positioned a certain way)

Stitch the 3 pinned sides at 1/4″ seam allowance. (All stitching is 1/4″ for the entire wallet)

Cut the corner as shown below taking special care NOT to cut through your stitches.

Turn right side out and press. Making sure to push those corners out.

Top stitch around the 3 sewn sides at 1/4″ and set aside.

Stitch main fabric pieces right sides together leaving 2″ to 3″ open to enable you to turn it right side out. (see next 3 photos)

Press, taking special care to ensure the 2-3 ” hole is lined up and pressed evenly. (We will catch it in a top stitch later)

Once you have finished pressing, lay the fabric out wrong side (or inside) up and fold each side in so they meet. Should be about 3 1/2″ in for each. Press again.(See photo below)

Fold each side down and pin several times to stabilize.. (See photo below) I got a little snap happy and took the photo before I placed all my pins. Typically, I place 3 pins on the top and 3 pins on the bottom.

Stitch a 1/4″ top stitch down both sides. Make sure that you are using a strong enough needle to pierce through several layers of fabric.

Get your ruler and a fabric pen or chalk and mark 3″ in on both sides.

Stitch where you drew the lines, make sure to back stitch. ( Do not sew all the way down) See photos below

Get your 6″ x 3″ piece and slip it in the middle opening. (check the outer side of your fabric to ensure the fabric is facing the correct direction if you are working with printed or fabric that has words.)

Push down all the way in the center opening, stitch across center portion only.

This is what you should have so far… :)

Now, like I previously stated, I am using kamsnap pliers. I originally tried the little snaps that you hammer in, UGH… nightmare. LOL Now, if you have success with those little buggars, GO for it… use what you have… it will still be totally cute!   (Let me clarify, I have in no way been compensated in any form to advertise kamsnap. They offer a reliable product is all.)

I placed my wallet on my ruler and found the center and placed a dot with my fabric pen.

Take your awl and puncture the area where you placed the “dot.”

Push snaps through and follow the directions from the kamsnap website.

Fold left side in then the right side.. (see photos below)

Fold the bottom up to meet the top. (See below) I recommend filling your tea wallet with the bags, sweeteners or creamers before placing the second snap. You want to be sure that you are able to close the wallet. :D

Done… Done… Done! Cute huh! These make perfect gifts for all the tea lovers in your life. :)

Please do not take this tutorial and make it your own. If you’d like to link to it feel free but please link it back to my site. This is a FREE tutorial for PERSONAL use only! If you’d like to make these to sell in any way; please contact me first so that we can discuss the terms. Thank you in advance.

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 48 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Zoe November 10, 2011 at 11:58 am

:) I’m so glad that you liked it!

2 Diana Bracy November 26, 2011 at 10:05 pm

I love the detailed photos. Your fabrics are wonderful. I have bookmarked the page to try one for myself. I’d like to make one for my DH to use at work. I will use a masculine fabric. He does take my paisley luggage on business trips. May a paisley print….this is perfect as a stocking stuffer! Thanks for sharing.

Diana

3 Leah Clark December 8, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Thanks so much for the great tutorial– nice and clear for us beginners! I, too, will be employing this one as a stocking stuffer for two tea-addicted aunts, whom i love dearly, and absolutely can not shop for! :0)

4 Deborah Jennings December 9, 2011 at 8:14 pm

WOW What an awesome tutorial! I love this. And am going to have to make me one for my purse! I do love me some hot tea in the winter! And I just ordered 6 boxes of 24 bags of my favorite Herbal tea. Yummm

5 Marylea December 15, 2011 at 1:09 pm

This is a great tutorial – thank you so much for putting it together. I am in the process of making one for my mom for Christmas. Can you clarify one step for me? After you sew the 14″ by 19.5″ sections together, press, and fold each side up so they meet, it appears in the photo that your total dimensions are 7″ by about 9″. Mine are 7″ by 19″ at this point. Where did I go wrong? Thank you for your help!

6 Zoe December 15, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Did you fold them in to meet? About 3.5 on each side?

7 Marylea December 15, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Yes. That is how I got the 7″ side. The length in the other direction is 19″. That does not seem to work for the rest of the tutorial. It makes it way too long.

8 Melissa December 19, 2011 at 7:58 pm

I’m not understanding how we get either 19×14.5 OR 19×8.5 to create the 3pocketed wallet, but if the main fabrics are cut to 9.5×14.5 (which you get if you fold a fQ in half and cut at 9.5″, then turn (leave folded) and cut at 7.25), then it appears the size is perfect for getting 3 pockets per side. I don’t know where I got so confused, but I think I’ll try this. Thanks for explaining, I’m guessing the confusion is all in my head! If all else fails, Mom will have a gigantic improvised tea rollup type thing! :) Thanks again!

9 Melissa December 19, 2011 at 9:33 pm

I finished the wallet using the dimensions 9.5×14.5 (before any sewing) for the main fabrics, instead of 19×14.5. This worked perfect and it is super cute! Thank you so much for the tutorial!

10 Zoe December 20, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Hi Melissa!
I’m So glad! I am going to go back and edit the dimensions; I think that what I currently have has caused some confusion. I’m so glad that you like the wallet! They come together pretty good. :)

11 Zoe December 15, 2011 at 5:53 pm

You should cut your two fat quarters to 9 1/2 ” by 7 1/4? on the fold. When you open them fully they will be 19 x 8.5. Then you want to press them, lay them right sides together and sew around them leaving open a area 2-3 inches so that you can flip it right side out. You will press that, tucking the open area in and press flat. You will then take that one piece and fold up the sides to meet in the middle (about 3.5 on each side)

12 Melissa December 19, 2011 at 3:15 pm

I also love this tutorial, but am having the same problem as Marylea. I’m not using FQ’s, so I cut my two pieces to the 19×14.5 you stated in the tutorial (the two we sew right sides together). But that isn’t adding up, and I get the same length issues as Marylea. Can you clarify how the FQ is folded to get whichever dimensions we are supposed to have, or just what the actual dimensions are of the main pieces? I’m sorry if this is actually really simple and I”m not getting it! Thank you so much!

13 Zoe December 19, 2011 at 3:48 pm

You should cut your two fat quarters to 9 1/2 ” by 7 1/4″ on the fold. When you open them fully they will be 19 x 8.5. Then you want to press them, lay them right sides together and sew around them leaving open a area 2-3 inches so that you can flip it right side out. You will press that, tucking the open area in and press flat. You will then take that one piece and fold up the sides to meet in the middle (about 3.5 on each side)

14 Aja December 26, 2011 at 5:34 am

Hey, this tutorial is awesome! I especially love the fabric you chose. I made one for my friend as a Christmas gift and put pics of it on my new blog, so I linked it back to here…happy crafting :-)

15 Sonia February 19, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Love your pictures. Still confused by your dimensions. How do you get 8.5 ” if you cut it 7.25″? if the length is 19″ How do you get it to (‘ so as to have three pockets? I cut my fabris 9.5″x7.5” and it worked. Are there extra pockets after the folds as shown on your pictures opened at the sides for sugar? Sonia

16 Zoe February 20, 2012 at 11:10 am

Thank you. I just made a minor adjustment to the tutorial page. I’m not sure where you got the number 8.5, I tried to look through the tutorial for it but didn’t see it. Maybe I overlooked it??? You are to cut two pieces of fabric 9 1/2 ” by 7 1/4? on the fold when opened flat measure 19 x 7 1/4. After you sew it together (RST) snd flip, press then you are to fold it down in both directions by about 3 1/2, press then back up on both sides. So yes there should be 5 sweetener pockets.

17 Carolyn June 11, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Zoe, you have the number 8.5 in the comment just above this one. It would be helpful if you could add to the instructions, after the line, “Cut your two fat quarters to 9 1/2 ” by 7 1/4? on the fold” something like — ‘or cut two flat pieces of fabric to 19″ x 7 1/4″ if you are not using fat quarters.’

Great job on the design. I have a tea wallet I purchased, planning to use it as an example to make more for friends. I like yours better, though. Mine doesn’t have sweetener pockets.

18 Carolyn June 11, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Actually, after reading through these instructions again, and looking closely at the pictures, I’m pretty sure the flat fabric is 9.5 by 14.5, NOT 7.5 by 19. Is that right? What are the finished dimensions of the wallet lying open?

19 Sonia February 25, 2012 at 4:52 pm

I used Melisa;s sugestion and cut my fabric 9.5″ x 14.5″ and it worked like a charm. Instead of usind a flap, I made a loop of the lining fabric and sewed a buttton on the front. Yes it did have 5 pockests for sweeterner. Thank you very much. Sonia

20 Heather Jones April 17, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Thanks for this tutorial. I think I’m going to make in for my mil for Mother’s day. I am curious- where did you get the tea fabric? Thanks in advance!

21 Zoe April 19, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Hi Heather

I bought the fabric at hypernoodlefabrics.com I believe it’s a Michael Miller fabric. :) Its name might be high tea.

22 Judy April 19, 2012 at 2:13 am

Oh how I love tea, and your wallet is brilliant, thank you for sharing :)

23 Erika Mulvenna April 25, 2012 at 4:00 pm

We really love your Tea Wallet Tutorial! We’d love to share a link to your tutorial at http://www.WeAllSew.com for all of our fans this coming Friday. Please let me know if you have any questions about being a featured project link at WeAllSew – Erika.

24 Zoe April 26, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Hi Erika!
Awesome! I can’t wait to be featured! :D

25 bj April 28, 2012 at 1:18 pm

I PRINTED THE INSTRUCTIONS, TO HAVE FOR FUTURE REFERENCE-AT HOME. IT PRINTED A TOTAL OF 41 PAGES FOR THE INSTRUCTIONS. IT WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE A “PRINTER FRIENDLY” VERSION. I LOVE THE TEA WALLET!

26 Lynn May 1, 2012 at 5:07 am

Hi, I love the concept but your instructions are totally confusing. How you get 5 pockets I have no idea. You say turn the sides in so that they meet, then you say turn them in 3.5″. Which is it, meet or 3.5″? And which sides do you turn , the long or short sides? And what do you do after that? Why do you insist on saying cut 9.5″ x 7.25″ on the fold? You never say which length should be on the fold. Much simpler to just say 19″ x 7.25″. And yes, how are we supposed to get a 8.5″ side if we are supposed to cut it 7.25″. You stated this measurement 3 times. Really cute project, but takes too much time to figure out your directions.

27 Zoe May 1, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Thank you for your input. Like I mentioned it was the very first tutorial that I have ever done. I did the best I could at the time. I was sure to include detailed photos along the way. Sorry that you found it confusing. At some point I may take your advice and revisit and improve the free tutorial.

Have a blessed day.

28 Carolyn June 11, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Think of it this way, Lynn. After folding both short sides to the middle and pressing, fold each one back on itself to the edge, like a fan, and pin down. That will give you an interior pocket and an exterior pocket on each side.

29 Tessa May 4, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Great concept! This will make a very cute, welcomed gift. I made one easily after a little pondering. Thanks Zoe for the idea & the tutorial.

For others so inclined & needing clarification, here’s what I did:
Cut 2 main fabric pieces each 14.5″ by 9.5″. Stitch together, (right sides together), leaving a 3″ opening in the center of one short edge for turning. (This will also be where the tab will go later). Turn & press well as Zoe instructed. Then, with the inside fabric face up, fold each short end in to meet the other, abutting their edges in the middle. (You’ll now see the outside fabric only and the piece will measure about 7″ x 9″). Press the folds well. Then, fold those same short edges BACK onto themselves, so that the stitched seam meets the folded edge you just pressed (think of an accordion). (You’ll now see the inside fabric only and the piece will still measure 7″ x 9″). This folding the edges to the center & folding half way back onto themselves creates the pockets. Continue per Zoe’s tutorial. HTH.

30 Candice January 22, 2014 at 5:17 pm

Tessa, I could not have done this without your help. Thank you so much for the clarification. I am going to print some instructions for myself in case I want to make any more of these, and I will use your clarifications.

31 Jennifer March 21, 2014 at 4:28 am

THANK YOU, TESSA!!! This made it so easy to understand. Wish I’d read this before making my first cut… :)

32 diann July 29, 2012 at 11:36 pm

Darling tea wallet….I put the tutorial into a word doc (3 pages after reducing sizes of photos and tinkering with formats) so that I can take it with me on my ‘sewing’ vacation. (No internet where we go.) I can see these as my ‘secret pal’ gifts for the year! :). Thanks for this sweet tutorial.

33 Pat November 26, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Hi, I purchased a tea wallet very similiar to yours in a tea shop a few years ago. If anyone is considering making this, I’d suggest you cut your 2 fabric pieces 14 1/2 by 10 1/2. This extra width will allow you to have 3 columns at about 3 or 3 1/4 inches wide that will hold 6 tea bags. Zoe – you did a fine job with your tutorial – I just wanted to add some wiggle room for my oversized tea bags. Thanks!

34 leila s. December 27, 2012 at 11:33 pm

I love this tutorial, but I was wondering, where did you get the Tea/Teapot fabric??? I make aprons and would love to get some that!!

35 Zoe December 28, 2012 at 12:04 am

Thank you! I bought it at http://www.hypernoodlefabrics.com/ It was by Michael Miller and called High Tea. I think that it has been discontinued. :(

36 Shankari Paradee June 24, 2013 at 2:04 am
37 eileen January 7, 2013 at 1:18 am

thank you so much for posting this tutorial. I am an avid tea drinker myself and i think this is a cool idea for a present for my friends.

38 google.com February 8, 2013 at 4:54 am

Hello, the whole thing is going sound here and ofcourse every one is sharing data, that’s truly good, keep up writing.

39 Shankari Paradee May 2, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Where did you purchase your kamsnap and accessories? Thanks!

40 Zoe May 3, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Hi Shankari,

I purchased them here: http://www.kamsnaps.com/

I have the hand pliers.

41 Shankari Paradee June 24, 2013 at 1:57 am

Thanks! Which size snap did you use? I can’t decide which is the right size from the website.

42 Louise Magson August 20, 2013 at 2:12 pm

I am so going to make at least one of these! Thank you for the great tutorial, I’m a beginner and this is very easy for me to follow.

43 peter September 17, 2013 at 8:21 pm

wasn’t written clear enough.
you should fold the long sides up, not the short sides.
will make again tho…. ;0)
many thanks

44 Marty September 30, 2013 at 12:33 am

In the text of this tutorial you mention a PDF set of instructions. Is that still available? I can’t find it mentioned anywhere else. I like this item, I would just like to print it out and not have so many pages. Thanks, M

45 Carla January 17, 2014 at 5:06 am

This is a very good concept; however, the 19″ x 7.25″ portions do not allow for three 3″ pockets. I should have been more thorough in reading the instructions through before starting, but I guess I kind of expected that the dimensions given would be correct to complete the project and that I would not have to waste a lot of nice fabric.

46 Dolllady April 7, 2014 at 1:31 am

I just found your tutorial, need to make one of this.. it took me a minute to figure it out but when I saw the splenda packets, Ifigured how you folded the flaps back to make the sweetener pockets. You could also just make 6 pockets and carry 5 tea bags and put sweeteners in the 6th pocket. Thank you much. I will make mine this week.

47 Kayla July 10, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Your measurements seem to be very incorrect it’s far too small width wise to put in three 3 inch sections. After I cut it to be 7 1/4 by 19 the 7 1/4 went down to 6 3/4 even if I tried it lengthwise it is not thick enough. I don’t see how you fit three sections for tea bags. Also if it is to be 19 long as you say then when you fold it as both ends meet its 4.5 not 3 over lapping on each end. So i don’t know how you got this to work….

48 Jane @ Handiworking August 28, 2014 at 11:58 pm

Zoe, made your tea wallet and sent it to my sister for her birthday. She loves it, of course, because it’s awesome! Thanks so much for the wonderful tutorial.